The idea of making your own candy bars at home can feel intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be! If you love Crunch bars but want to feel better about the ingredients, you’ll want this vegan and gluten free alternative. You can make a batch in under 10 minutes, which is always a plus.
Avoid the preservatives and added sweeteners by simply using melted chocolate and chocolate Mother Butter (which only has 1 g of added sugar!) as the base, and stir in crispy cereal. This recipe allows you to create a replica that contains some bonus vitamins, fiber, and healthy fats while satisfying that candy craving.
Equipment: small and medium bowl (microwave safe), measuring cups, measuring spoons, spatula, standard loaf pan, parchment paper, pan spray
- Lightly mist loaf pan with pan spray. Line with parchment paper.
- Measure cereal into the medium bowl. Add salt and set aside.
- In the small bowl, measure chocolate chips and Mother Butter. Heat together in 15-20 second intervals, stirring to combine, until fully melted.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over rice cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated with the chocolate.
- Pour cereal and chocolate mix into the loaf pan. Press out to an even layer.
- Freeze until set.
- Cut and store in the freezer, wrapped.
- Other cereals in equal amounts work as well - crispy rice, O cereal, puffed quinoa, etc.
- Original Mother Butter can be swapped for chocolate MB.
- No microwave, no problem! Melt down the chocolate and MB with a double boiler. On the stovetop, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Turn off water. Set a bowl on top that covers the entire surface of the pot (no water should get in the bowl). Measure chocolate and MB into the bowl, and stir over the boiling water until melted.