Pumpkin season is in full swing, and this smoothie bowl is a healthy, fun way to incorporate that autumn pie flavor we all love! This is a fast, gluten free, blood sugar-balancing bowl that tastes just like dessert.
Pumpkin puree, banana, and warm pumpkin spice blend into the creamiest foundation for the toppings of your choice without any added sugar, and Mother Butter adds protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Make for the kiddos and have them decorate their bowls with more fruits, or any other toppings you have on hand. We eat with our eyes first, after all!
Equipment: measuring cups, measuring spoons, high speed blender, bowl, spoon
Ingredients: makes 1 full size or 2 smaller smoothie bowls
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add any desired toppings.
- To freeze bananas for smoothies, peel and cut into slices or small chunks and put on a sheet tray to freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, store in a container or plastic bag. Whole frozen bananas can be very difficult for blenders to break down, so smaller pieces are best. Plus- this is a great way to get use out of those super ripe bananas waiting on your counter!
- Frozen zucchini or cauliflower rice (about ½-¾ c of either one) can be used if looking for a banana swap. The texture will be similar, but the flavor won’t be sweet, so add some maple syrup, honey, or even dates to taste.
- Looking for even more protein? A few tablespoons of hemp seeds or a scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder or collagen blend in great! It may need another slight splash of milk, but add tiny amounts at a time - you can always add more, but once the mixture is too thin, it’s no longer the texture you can eat with a spoon (BUT, still a delicious smoothie!).
- For more info on the nutrition of pumpkin and how Mother Butter plays an important supporting role, CLICK HERE!