Tis the season to protect your immunity, friends. Use this delicious creamsicle smoothie as away to stay out of the sniffles club!
Not only are citrus fruits at their peak in the winter, but they are also a solid source of vitamin C, a crucial immune boosting ingredient. But it’s not just vitamin C our bodies need to keep sickness at bay. If you check our nutrition facts, you’ll notice that Mother Butter has two other key components of a healthy immune system: copper and iron. A study on how micronutrients bolster immune function showed that copper and iron are both big players in how your immune system works to fight its daily battles.
The bonus is that this blend of orange, Mother Butter, and yogurt is seriously yummy. This makes a great nourishing breakfast or midday snack. Drink up and stay healthy this winter!
Equipment: Liquid measuring cup, measuring spoons, blender, microplane or citrus zester
- Zest mandarins with microplane directly into the blender cup.
- Peel mandarins and add to the blender cup, along with the rest of the ingredients. Add honey depending on how sweet you’d like your smoothie.
- Blend on high speed until combined.
- Pour into a glass, and add a little more zest on top for extra flavor!
- Any yogurt or milk can be used, potentially keeping this dairy free.
- Add whatever sweetener you prefer instead of honey- a banana would also be great here.
- Blend in a scoop of collagen or vanilla protein powder if more protein is preferred.
Source: Gombart AF, Pierre A, Maggini S. A Review of Micronutrients and the Immune System-Working in Harmony to Reduce the Risk of Infection. Nutrients. 2020 Jan 16;12(1):236. doi: 10.3390/nu12010236. PMID: 31963293; PMCID: PMC7019735.
About The Author: Olivia Portelli