There is no simpler chocolate confection to prepare than the truffle, and yet they still look and feel so elevated and elegant. Dark chocolate, chocolate Mother Butter and a bit of cream come together to make a decadent ganache without even so much as turning on your stovetop if you don’t want to.
This is a great recipe to customize, too. Add extracts, spices, or roll in different toppings instead of cocoa powder. Crushed peppermints are perfect for the holiday season. Sprinkles, sesame seeds, toasted coconut, matcha powder, or a drizzle of white chocolate are all delicious.. make them your own! These nut free, gluten free, and potentially dairy free truffles are a true homerun to keep in your pocket when you need an impressive sweet.
Equipment: medium sized bowl (microwave safe), whisk, measuring spoons, small scoop or tablespoon
Ingredients: makes 10 tablespoon-sized truffles
- Break or chop the chocolate bar into small pieces.
- Add chocolate and Mother Butter to the bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate and Mother Butter in 20 second increments, stirring until combined and just shy of fully melted.
- Add heavy cream and stir until shiny and smooth.
- Put the chocolate mixture in the refrigerator to set about 80% of the way. Scooping before it fully hardens will make it much easier!
- Once set, scoop into tablespoon-sized balls and roll between your hands to form a sphere.
- Roll shaped truffles in cocoa powder. If using other toppings,
- Store in the refrigerator. Pull out of the refrigerator to soften and come to temperature 1 hour before consuming.
- Extracts can be added to the chocolate ganache at the same time as the cream to flavor the truffles- examples include peppermint, coffee, or orange. Add a drop or two at a time, as they are strongly flavored! A pinch or two of powdered spices like cinnamon or ginger would also be delicious.
- These can also be made on the stovetop using a double boiler. On the stovetop, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Turn off water. Set a bowl on top that covers the entire surface of the pot (no water should get in the bowl). Measure chocolate and MB into the bowl, and stir until melted.
- To keep these dairy free, use dairy free chocolate and coconut milk (or your preferred dairy-free cream/creamer).