Refined sugar free and dairy free salted caramel sauce: it almost sounds too good to be true. The good news is it DOES exist and you can make it with your trusty jar of Mother Butter! And, these apple “nachos” are an awesome way to use it for a quick snack that is also good for you.
Melt down Mother Butter with some maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to make a decadent drizzle for sliced apples. After you pour over that salted MB caramel, additional toppings like coconut, granola, or even chocolate chips up the ante on this vegan and gluten free afternoon snack. Make this as an easy, healthy treat for the kids (and have them help add the toppings, too!) or a midday boost for you. No judgment if your preferred vehicle is simply your spoon.
Equipment: measuring spoons, small pot or microwave safe bowl, whisk, spoon, plate
Ingredients: makes around 2 servings
- If making on the stove, measure all ingredients except milk into a small pot. If using the microwave, measure into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat slowly (on low heat on the stove, or in 10 second bursts in the microwave), stirring until smooth.
- Once combined into a thick sauce, add milk and salt. If it seems thick, add more milk 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Arrange apple slices on a plate.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over apples.
- Add optional toppings to taste.
- Store any leftover caramel sauce in the refrigerator. When cold, use as a dip- or rewarm in 5 second intervals.
- Other fruits would work great as well- banana, pears, strawberries.
- This caramel sauce is amazing with ice cream :)
- Chocolate Mother Butter could be used, too! If swapping chocolate MB, you may want to add less maple syrup to taste. Adjust to your preference.