It’s smoothie season! Celebrate with this classic combination of cherry and chocolate- chocolate Mother Butter, that is. These two are a perfect match: both in flavor and nutrition profiles. Dark cherries and Mother Butter are rich in magnesium, a mineral that helps with muscle function, bone health, and blood pressure. The high level of vitamin C also helps the body better absorb the iron from the seed blend in Mother Butter. And all nutrition facts aside, this is just plain easy and delicious. Blend it up for breakfast or even dessert!
Equipment: measuring cup, measuring spoons, blender
Ingredients: makes 1 serving
- Heaping ½ c frozen dark cherries
- 1 tbsp chocolate Mother Butter
- ¼ c cold water
- Pinch of salt
- Optional toppings: granola, chocolate chips or cocoa nibs, shredded coconut, chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy as is or garnish with an optional topping.
- Salt in a smoothie? Yes! If you haven’t tried doing so, go for it. You only truly need a pinch and it rounds out the flavors!
- “Heaping” cup means slightly overflowing - fill just over the top of your measuring cup to the point where there is a small dome, or “heap”.
- Frozen raspberries or strawberries are also delicious if you’re not a fan of cherries or have those in your freezer instead.
- The fruit of choice can also be fresh, but the smoothie will have a different texture. It will be thinner and less frosty.
- Swap any milk (dairy, nut, coconut, soy, etc) for the water if you prefer something creamier.
- Only have the original Mother Butter on hand? Use the same amount of original and add ½ tsp cocoa powder to the smoothie!
About The Author: Olivia Portelli